Saturday, September 24, 2005

lovely rita, hep B test! nothing can come between us.

Ah, Rita turned out not so bad..for Houston. I do not speak for Galveston or Beaumont, but my family's house survived with only a few downed branches. Now my mom has the cumbersome task of untaping windows and unwrapping important documents, but a lack of calamities is a good thing. It's so strange to not be in Texas and so far from what was urgent.

In other news about unrealized disasters, there was a mini earthquake (3.2) in Piedmont, which lies just south of Berkeley. It happened sometime around 4 am. I had no idea until I heard about it from a bus driver.

--------------

In other news, I helped at a men's health fair at a Chinese church in San Francisco. I helped label vials of blood that will be later tested for Hepatitus B! Quite enjoyable actually to be out working with people even if my lack of Cantonese skills meant that I couldn't do much more than smile and point when someone tried to ask me for help. The phlebotomist collecting the samples was amazing though. In--out--blood! She did have some tricky veins though. A few poor souls had to be poked up to four times to get just a trickle. Eek.

2 comments:

david said...

J, the biggest calamity for me was the lack of gasoline, tons of visiting houstonites at the ansel adams exhibit on sunday, and sonoran desert air that's crowded austin with triple digit temperatures. baghdad-like weather these early autumn days...

jennifer said...

Ah, deperate motorist carrying gas cans and waves of heat rising from the pavement. I can see it and it ain't pretty.