Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Good day, sunshine!

I have two more weeks of school. Three more presentations to make. Three more final papers to write. One evaluation to complete. At the moment I should be completing a peer review. But the end is in sight and I can't resist a taste of freedom. Today, the sun finally showed its face and evaporated the damper of a winter of rain. One of my friends had a birthday party, a bar-b-que with tofurkey sausages and a chocolate fountain. We ate. We talked. We laughed. We played ping-pong (you know you are having a good day when you get to play ping pong). And it was good, this taste of summer.

This is what my summer will be: a casting off of responsibility, if only for a shortwhile. I've decided not to continue working at my current researcher position. I'm not going to take Chinese class as I had intended. I am going to do 3 things:
- Take a camping trip to Glacier National Park in Montana;
- Go home to Houston, buy a car, and do a half-national road trip back to California;
- And...go to Peru, Guatemala, Belize, and Mexico!

It is heedless of professional responsibilities, fiscally impractical, but one taste of summer is not enough. I want to eat the whole pie! I will learn to be responsible again in August. Promise.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

space cadette, we must catch up! i totally get what a melt down graduate school is.

cyathula said...

a camping trip to glacier nat'l park????? what is this??