Sunday, April 02, 2006

what circle of hades are we in anyway?

I was just doing some gardening to get some House Improvement hours in for my coop (I have to do 4 over the whole semester). So I did some weeding, some hedge pruning, and--this is rich--cutting grass with hedge clippers. There is a reason humans invented lawn mowers, but having none, our coop must improvise. It was like I was giving our sidewalk patch of grass a bad haircut. First I snipped at it, then I used a rake to comb out the clippings, leaving mangled looking clumps of grass. When the garden manager asked me to cut the grass with the sheers I wasn't sure if he was joking. But, imagining myself in some absurdist performance piece, I cut the grass with big scissors. What offense did I commit to warrant this? Some bad karma there.

So not surprisingly, I've decided to not live in the coops next year. Not just funky hierarchy, but I want my own space, my own kitchen, the freedom to socialize when I feel like it and to be a guilt-free hermit when I want to be. Looking for a place to live though...no easy task. Updates on the horizon.

4 comments:

Tinky/Caddy said...

Poor Jo. Though to be perfectly honest, not so little Woman, the "bad haircut" metaphor almost made me laugh my dinner of spaghetti noodles out my nose :P

jennifer said...

wow, long live illogical lawn care techniques care of the coops!

Kendra said...

hey jennifer... since you're my california contact, checkout sabrinawardharrison.com -
'communicate' She's doing another reading if you're interested

cyathula said...

apt hunting for summer? or just for fall? tho i guess that depends on how cheerful your sister will be in the next few weeks. hrm!