Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Hundred Million Miracles

I guess this will be more a recollection of events that thorough processing. I wanted to devote individual entries to these, but due to time and psychic energy--the lack thereof--I resort again to bullet points.

- Went to see Stephen Hawking speak. Was great to feel like part of a social phenomenon or something to see him, but he was basically wheeled to the middle of the stage in Berkeley's big performance hall where he commenced to present a powerpoint lecture on the origins of the universe, a highly generalized discussion right out of his book. Hmm. But still cool to see this person, the physicist and cultural icon.

- Went to a rally for Barack Obama in Oakland. Didn't really see him, more like just heard him. Was disappointed that the speech was so politicky with buzz topics like the war in Iraq and universal health care. I was looking for inspiration and I got generalities. Ai. That's ok. I will still keep my eye on him. For him to talk about racial disparities sounds truer for his identity and personal experience than I can believe for the other candidates. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

- Went to see the Flower Drum Song, a Rogers and Hammerstein musical movie from 1961, that takes place in San Francisco's Chinatown. Conventional, or course, but messes with stereotypes about Chinese Americans too in challenging ways. Also so affirming to see an entire cast of Asians doing it all, acting, singing, dancing, falling in love, wreaking revenge, being filial, or striving for success. It was part of the Asian American Film Festival in San Fran, a sing-a-long! Fun for that reason too.

- Also, ah. I will be presenting on a panel at a conference this week on my research project, having to do with surveying the MSW student body on their perceptions of ethnic diversity in our school. Gah, I'm freaked out a bit, but I think it will be a great learning experience. Ah. A link about the conference http://cci.berkeley.edu/news/.

- Friday I take a written exam as part of the application process to doing CPS with San Francisco county. Egad, I need to brush up on safety/risk assessment to prepare. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Tinky/Caddy said...

4-leaf clovers, 1,000 origami cranes, buddha bellies, luckluckluck!

Tinky/Caddy said...

and just in case, luckluckluck, for luck-y number 7

Tinky/Caddy said...

don't forget to email me your itinerary. (took frontier airlines for last conference and it was better than usual.)