Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Something is a-brewing...

It's coming! 2008 when we can flex out political will and change the direction of our nation, albeit as far as our elected reps will take it. I went to a rally for John Edwards in Berkeley on Sunday just to see a Democratic hopeful speak. (I'm still all about Obama.) He was striking in a soap opera star kind of way and charismatic as someone who has publicly voiced opinions about health care and poverty for many years. And it was interesting to hear that he has big plans for universal health care and admits to regretting having supported the war, but when he spoke of racial discrimination he witnessed in the South while growing up it just didn't ring true for me. What can this white dude have to say about personal experiences of racism against African Americans? His understanding, no matter how personal and deeply felt will never compare with that of a person of color. Does our nation need more white leaders? Anyway, that is how I felt about it. I think the crowd on Sunday was just hungry to rally around some Democratic alternative to Bush, though the murmurs I overheard were speckled with "Obama" and "Hillary."

No comments: