Monday, May 07, 2007

Here is Greenwood!

Graduate school is turning into a blur as I rush toward the end. The end is in sight. Must...make...it...to...Saturday... Today we had poster sessions for our research projects where we put up these display boards, very ala science fair. But it was splendid and it felt good to square one more thing away. Before the poster session there was an awards ceremony, which I skipped thinking it would not be any big deal to attend or not attend. Turns out I won the Greenwood-Emeritus Competence Writing Award for a paper I submitted! Crazy! People stopped me in the hall and told me and I thought they were all messing with me. I was given a nice framed certificate and $650. Wow! Its incredibly validating to know that my writing was recognized, as it has been a frustrating two years of producing papers that would only garner Bs and half-hearted A-s. So while I may not be any good at accurately answering my paper prompts or making assessments, I can write with some skill and flair. English degree, you were not a complete waste of 4 years. I'll leave you with the final paragraph from that paper

---------------------------

Over the course of this school year I have sought a better understanding of the profession of social work, and I am starting to see that it is not a singular set of skills, experience, or even values. An MSW, or even LCSW, conveys an expertise that is still highly dependent on the individual practitioner. As such, it is up to the social workers to motivate themselves to be competent, knowledgeable, prepared, and eager in serving clients. I can do this.

3 comments:

Tinky/Caddy said...

Dear Straight Dope:

When you agree with someone, do you say "Here Here!" or "Hear Hear" ? And what does it mean? What is the origin of "Here Here" or "Hear Hear"? --Tymoma195


SDSTAFF Veg replies:


The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"


Of course, if the speaker is actually asking a question, such as "and just where do you think we should open the new [male] strip club?" it's not hard to imagine that at least one yahoo in attendance might yell, "here, here!" But this would be the exception that proves the rule.


--SDSTAFF Veg

Tinky/Caddy said...

HearHear!

jennifer said...

hear hear, here here!