Friday, June 13, 2008

Beijing on my mind...

So, I'm going to Beijing in two weeks. That is provided that the Chinese consulate grants me a visa. I've gone to the office twice and been turned away for insufficient documentation. Keep in mind that I have to drive from Oakland to San Francisco, leave on a work day and get a number and wait in line, only then to find out that I was supposed to bring my airline tickets or signature and id number for a relative in China. It's ridiculous! How am I going to get into this country! Argh!!! I chatted in the waiting area with a white girl from Stanford, going to the Beijing Olympics to watch her friend on the women's polo team. And she's also seeing Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and Bali. Oh man. I won't have that kind of time to travel ever again... In truth though, long trips make me antsy and I tend not the enjoy them. This jaunt to China will include Beijing and Xian and will be a whirlwind of sightseeing. A perfect antidote to burnout with with my job. If I can just get my visa! So things that need to happen on this trip to make all this grief worth it:

- I get hugged by a panda baby that tells me, "Wo Ai Ni!"
- I eat original, served-to-the-emperors, recipe peking duck
- I discover a new tomb of terra cotta chickens at Chi Shi Wang's tomb

No comments: