Saturday, September 17, 2005

dude, where's my asparagus?

Yesterday I woke up feeling a bit sick, and after an intense panel discussion with a formerly incarcerated woman and a birth mother, I was very much looking forward to the nice meal had packed for myself the night before. I had stacked leftover stir-fried asparagus and mixed vegetables over rice. Potential yum! But after openning the lid of my tupperware container, what should I see? No asparagus! Now, I haven't had too many problems with sharing a communal refrigerator and pantry, but why would someone take food from my lunch container? I can't even begin to comprehend.

I figured the theft of stalky vegetables might be a good lead into a discussion of the coop house I live in. I had my doubts in the beginning, but I love being a part of a rambling family. At any hour of the day, I can wander through our kitchen or dining room and run across someone who is genuinely interested in how my day went or what I plan to do with my weekend. Twenty-one people in one house can be a bit too much at times, but I like living in a warm cooperative environment, especially where "everybody knows your name." Hmm, but this getting sick a second time may be the caveat to communal yogurt and apple juice. Beware the food that has no cover!

2 comments:

Tinky/Caddy said...

you are too cute! take care of you and yours (including any obviously coveted veggies)

jennifer said...

you know, veggies and fruits are all the first things to go. the only things we have in everlasting quanities are ice cream, chocolate chips, and bread. only the essentials for a balanced diet, obviously.