Wednesday, September 14, 2005

slam on socks

Life is so much more unpleasant without the right socks. In my morning rush to get to class I found myself wearing a pair of my sister's no-quite-big-enough-for-me socks, which I had to pull on all day to keep from disappering underneath my foot.

Somewhere in the mix of moving to California I lost a bag full of most of my socks, leaving me to have to buy a quick pack of them here. I never really thought of myself as too much of a materialist, but not being able to wear the particular pair of socks chosen from a collection of socks that I have slowly accumulated makes me feel less of who I am. When I feel like lavender, I have to settle for white Nike. When I feel like argile, I have to settle for white Nike. And having lived two years on an AmeriCorps budget you'd think a threadbare shoestring budget would not bother me so much, but not being able to go out and obtain the kind of socks I want has been demoralizing. But it's just socks! Ah, it's more than socks.

----------------

Besides fixating on foot covering, today I went with some of my coop housemates to a poetry slam at the on-campus bar. One of my housemates brought along some poems that she had worked on and entered with our encouragment. In the end she made it to round two and finished with second place! We are so proud.

I'm glad I went for another reason as well. I finally encountered the intellectual activism that I had hear so much about, but had yet to see. Smart writing and spitfire delivery made me relieved, knowing that Berkeley isn't just a haven for the many frat and sororities that I pass on my way to class. Something about the poetry felt a bit discordant though. Is it possible to be ghetto and hippie at the same time?

7 comments:

cyathula said...

ghetto seems to be hip these days! =)

glad to see you having fun up in Berkeley and not drowning in classes!

Tinky/Caddy said...

Is it possible to be ecstatic for you and simultaneously envy the fact that you are such an awesome writer--cuz that's how I'm feeling :P

Tinky/Caddy said...

And you can add "wonderful human being" to above observation. Glad you're not gay or I'd have to arm wrestle you over girls ;)

jennifer said...

tnkrkell,

you know, "tnk" could be taken as tink or tank. hmm, as tankerkell you'd be channeling the classic comic punk chick Tank Girl, who according to a uk fansite is "an Austrailian tank pilot turned outlaw." Is that cool or what?

Tinky/Caddy said...

This is exactly what I mean, oh you with your silver-tongue-and-typing. Stop making me blush and channel some of that sweet 'n smooth talkiness to cute Berkeley boys!

BTW, if it's OK, I'd like to steal (cut and paste) that comment to my blog b/c it's about the best compliment I've ever received from girl or guy.

Tinky/Caddy said...

Hey,

Did you get ahold of Chris yet??? She can be your wing woman as you figure your way through Berkeley, boys, and the Bay Area.

jennifer said...

ah, writing the email to her right now! I did call her though. eep...