Monday, September 12, 2005

This is no joke!

Today, while walking down Sproul Plaza, I listened to an old Asian(?) man cry out in concerted repition the following:

This is no joke.
I never joke in all my life!
Be happy.
Be happy.
Be happy.

I couldn't quite make out the message of the placard strung across his back or of the sign that his tired, thin arms held up to his shoulder--something about God showing him the signs and O New Orleans--but he threatened nothing, dressed in a long sleeve red shirt with a wide straw hat upon his head. And he kept pleading, "Be happy. Be happy. Be happy."

And I thought, "If ever I'm going to start a blog, it will have to start with this."

So, here is my first entry.

2 comments:

david said...

if you were ever to start a new blog, then i'd have to be the first one to comment! reminds me of my seattle experience. you need a city of a certain size to support local eccentrics, especially those with bobby mcferrin leanings. nice template for the blog. it's so soothing ;)

jennifer said...

eep, i didn't think anyone would notice so soon that i'd set up a blog. thanks for the comment! i hope i can keep it interesting.