Saturday, October 15, 2005

Accio veins!

I volunteered once again to help with Hepatitis B testing, this time at a historic community center in San Francisco's Chinatown. The site is Cameron House, which during the 1800s provided housing to Chinese women who were lured to immigrate to America with promises of prosperity only to find "Golden Mountain" California to be anything but golden. Apparently there are still tunnels under the facility.

This time there were several medical students from UC San Francisco drawing blood as part of their training, much to some of the clients' chagrin. I see now how much skill really is required to be a good phlebotomist, especially when I decided to submit my arm to poking to get tested. I got an experienced phlebotomist, but even then my veins were incredibly hidden. After a fruitless, but painful, search for veins the phlebototmist settled for a vein in my hand. If only a simple tournaquette and tapping could produce juicy tubes of bloods.

To my future nursing friends, don't even think about asking me to help you learn to draw blood. I draw the line at blood pressure.

No comments: