Tuesday, October 24, 2006

apartment and lavender kitten

I think I'll rise my head out of the swamp of school long enough to tell you something I saw there in the murky waters.

1. Yesterday I was waiting for the bus and was accosted by a lively Chinese Fillipina who seemed ecstatic to meet another Southeast Asian Chinese person. Along with harranguing me about when the bus would arrive she also tried to pitch to me an apartment she was renting (a three bedroom with one room for 3 ppl? i had a hard time making out the confirguration was) as well as inviting me over to eat with her. On the bus she tried point out to me, not discretely enough, that the black women on the bus with their babies were out to get government money and didn't have to work. It's the middle class that get's screwed over, she said. Uh, ok. Good luck finding tenants.

2. A poem I found by Alonzo Lopez.

THE LAVENDER KITTEN

Miles and miles of pasture
roled on before me.
Covered with grass and clover
dyed pink, white, and blue.
At the edge of the fluctuating
sea of watercolors
Sat a lavender kitten.
Its fur glinted from an oscillating
ray of pink.
Quivered gently at the touch of a
swirling blue breeze.
Its emerald eyes glittered
And gazed blindly at the lighting
and fading sky of hazy red,
Yellow, white, and blue.
My heart knocked within my chest.
I must have the lavender kitten!
I ran across the multi-colored field,
my arms reaching forward.
Time slower.
I tried to run faster
but moved twice as slowly.
The blue breeze circled and tightened
around me,
Holding me back.
The kitten rose and stretched
sending lavender mist
Swimming in every direction.
It turned and started away
in huge, slow strides.
I follow and,
by a shimmering prism lake,
I came within reach of the kitten.
I offered my hand
and the kitten edged away,
Farther and farther.
The lake turned from crystal
to deep purple.
I looked around.
The colors began to melt.
The red sun turned to dull gray.
The color-filled sky turned to black.
The grass and clover began
to wither and die.
I looked down into the pool before me,
There, at the bottom of
the orchid glass cage,
Lay the lavender kitten.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

thinking of you - because i almost had to go to court today and i am going to start working individually with a girl who has autism next month.

so, i'm with you in spirit - wishing we could go court-clothes shopping together.

Tinky/Caddy said...

pretty/sad (and, of all my favored things, purple =)

jennifer said...

kendra, shooting lots of positive energy your way! court can be brief periods of stress broken by long periods of sitting around in uncomfortable shoes. ai! i constantly catch myself checking out the suits of the female lawyers, trying to get ideas of how to piece together good court outfits. I know, need to focus more on the clients.

jennifer said...

purple always!