Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Welcome to the Monkey House

(I went to the library today and read some stories by Kurt Vonnegut, one of which lent its title to the title of the anthology as well as the subject of my blog entry. He's got some small-town-soldier-come-home romance stories that are sooo sappy and yet sooo satisfying to read. Well, two is about all I can really take before I start to feel my cavities aching. )

So, I'm back in Houston. Yes. And intent on making this visit a positive one, where I can enjoy being with my parents, sisters, and granny without guilt, craziness, and too much frustration. So far, I've had some moments where I wanted to pull at my hair and hitchhike out of Houston, but that's more or less petered out into steely resolve to get through this visit with patience and--damn it--happiness. Mostly, I've been trying to clean out our accumulated 10 years of clutter. Kitchen, laundry room, refrigerator, bathrooms... I don't even know that I've really made a dent, but I think I need to feel useful and that I'm sorting out the chaos of my house. Ah. Maybe being in motion carrying out bags of trash will also do something about all the food I keep eating. A semester of eating hummus and sprouts completely wiped out by two days of steamed buns and pork bones. Damn it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a female high school classmate would make some of us green-eyed w/ her tendency to gain boobage weight during the winter months, just saying ;)

jennifer said...

yes, of all the places that fat can accumulate, it's too bad that we have such little control of where it all goes.

Jon said...

To break slightly with the topic of the above comments, you used the same vocab word when describing your family conflict that my professor used to describe OUR research proposal!! dude!! what sup with that?! ;)

p.s. glad the 'homework' appears to be going well so far! you seem not so stressed out! gj

jennifer said...

what word is that? hummus? our research project was smooth and sour with a touch of paprika?