Thursday, June 28, 2007

No Justice! No Peace!




Today I took part in a march for the SEIU representing security workers in the San Francisco Bay Area. The city went so far as to announce it Security Worker's Day in San Francisco. Apparently, the security workers' union contract is up for renewal and heated negotiations have begun. Listening in on speeches, wearing the purple shirt, and blocking traffic. I feel like it was an experience all about learning. The past victory of the janitor's union. The now daunting task for the security workers. The profit-only motivation of large business owners. The idea that free health care is a right. Freedom from poverty is a right. Those silent slumbering towers of the city that watch the streets, unmoved and unchanged while its human contents foment and churn and their streets teem with business people and protesters and the homeless who call their steps home.
--------------------------------
In other news, I'm leaving Berkeley. Hmm, I think I'll still keep the same name for this blog too, considering it is what brought me to CA and is what is compelling me to stay, this obligation to county child welfare. But, I'm moving to...Oakland. Ok, not that far away really. This weekend I'm moving into a studio on Lake Merritt. My apartment is pretty petite, but it charming with it many windows and lake view. It also has a fantastic New York-esque roof that makes me want to go Spiderman jumping from building to building. Oakland is beautiful, and the kind of urban environ that Berkeley is not. It is also dark and scary at night the way that urban environs are. I'll post pics once I take some and have done more settling into the place. Still very mixed feelings about moving. Very mixed. But life trudges on apace.

No comments: