Friday, June 01, 2007

V

This may come out as a weird post but its common thread is vaginas.

I had a dream a few nights ago that there were three of us women/girls (not sure what age I was but other girl someone from my past but looked like she was 12) who were at some carnival or festival or something. In order to participate or be able to enter some right of passage we had to undergo female circumcision. I remember panicking and thinking, "This isn't right! This can't be happening! Stop! Why am I still standing here in this line like I'm waiting." But the other girl--the one I recognized from church and whom I remember as very nice, docile, and Christian--kept saying, "It's ok. I'll go first." And she was standing there naked and had this very young prepubescent body and she walked off with the man who told us that we had to have our vaginas sewed up. And I kept picturing it and feeling terribly frightened. And that was all of that dream that I could remember. All three of us girls were Chinese American, I think. I have some suspicion of where this all came from but it still struck me as very weird.

-----------------------

Last night I went to a drag king show at my neighborhood gay bar. My first. Very fun. Apparently, it is a regular occurrence on Wednesdays that a group of lesbians does a drag/lip sync show. Some country, some alternative rock, some hip hop belted out by some very appealingly masculine guys. The only incongruity really appears when they speak and their voice seems completely at variance with their finely drawn facial hair. What makes us so different in terms of features, men and women. It's only a few hormones away it seems. Add the broad shoulders, narrow hips, a slight bulge in the crotch, a weighty step and the distinctions get a bit murky. Where did the vagina go anyway; hidden it seems.

1 comment:

Tinky/Caddy said...

watching "vanity fair" while reading your post and feeling like i should turn on some paula cole