Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summertime, and it's all about mini adventures...

I am loving these long summer days, sunny evenings, and (sometimes) warm days. I think, too, that I want to use this summer to enjoy living. I love my packed weekends and leisurely strolls home through Chinatown. Even work has been very light, as I started my new job in adoptions and I have very few cases--though I'm starting to see that the work itself is so much less intense and demanding as being a worker with court dependent kids was. Some adventures I've had so far include the following:

- A weekend trip to the Russian river. 9 people in a cabin. That's kinda a lot of people. But wonderful time kayaking down the river and swimming in it. The water was cool on a hot day. The first time I've tried out wearing a bikini. Excellent!
- I went to my first taiko drumming class. It was super intense and disciplined, but I loved that about it. I haven't done anything musical for years since playing the cello in high school and I really miss it. It was thrilling to learn songs and beats and just what position to stand and how to hold the bachi (drum sticks). One mini contention I have is with one of the classmates. The instructor kept complimenting me on how well I was doing for my first time. I think an older student, aka white lady, got miffed at it and said to the class that it was because taiko is in my blood. Hello, white lady! I'm not Japanese. And even if I was it does mean I'm genetically encoded to play taiko drums. Please, white lady, keep your ignorant assumptions and delicate ego to yourself.
- Stern Grove Music Festival in San Francisco, a free fest on the weekends in a SF park. Saw La Nubians and much enjoyed the music. And now get to enjoy sunburns on my shoulders and chest. You aren't really out there in the summertime unless you get a nice ichy, red reminder of it.
- SF Pride. I didn't actually spend too much time at pride, but did get to see the streams of people packing the trains to get there. Tight shirts, mini shorts, bondage gear, speedos. Damn, just one step short of nudity.
- Oh, which reminds me, I was enjoying a fancy meal at a waterfront restraunt on a Dine In special, where fancy restraunts had fixed menus for fixed prices to encourage attendance in fancier places. And sitting in the patio on by the pier, my friend and I got a lovely view of a pack of naked bikers streaming by. Ah bay area, you never fail to provide regular doses of naked flesh.

No comments: