Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturn returns inevitably

Golden Gate, hello!

San Francisco from the Golden Gate Bridge.

Mighty beams

Cute lamp posts

Ah, near sailboat collision!

Goodies from abroad

So it's happened. My birthday has arrived and I'm now 28-years-old. Ok, I know that 28 is by no means old, but it is also--in my mind--by no means young. It's signaling to me a point of no return to the heedless twenties, which I gladly leave behind but no longer have the right to claim. When you're in your twenties you get to make mistakes, or can anyway, without too much thought to consequences. You have resources at your disposal plus plenty of energy and pluck. And most of all, you have time to try things and figure them out. You can be a bit naive to the fact that your actions and decisions have consquences. I think hitting my 30s will also mean never being able to make a decision without some cost/benefit analysis. Ha, as if I couldn't be any more inhibited by thought of potential failures... But all depressive stewing aside, I admit that every year of my life has been better than the previous year. I know myself a little better and own myself more. I learn to admit and forgive my faults more and, god willing, become better at doing the same with the "faults" I see in others. To like where I am is to look forward to where I am going to be. A place with bright windows, amazing potential, and nice hair.

The pictures are from a jaunt across the Golden Gate Bridge and back, something I've always wanted to do since moving here. To celebrate my unavoidable step towards adulthood, or something.

2 comments:

Velius said...

I like your description of the whole aging process. However, if anything, I think people need to become a little more decisive with the information presented as they age since waffling in between is the worst that can happen. It could be good, could be bad, but if one doesn't find out which it actually is, it's like doing nothing. As long as the consequences aren't dire or involve physical harm of course.

jennifer said...

well, i think we do have a responsibility to ourselves to live rightly. whatever that is. you can live badly and harm no one but yourself, but that is still not ok.