Sunday, January 31, 2010

The fungus in me greets the fungus in you.

I decided today that I am tired of solitary paralysis.  Just because I'm single and can't always recruit people to do things with me doesn't mean I have to stay at home.  No!  So I decided to give myself the gift of freedom.  First in the form of a GPS.  Besides the fact that I get horribly lost going to places that I've been to several times before, I think having a GPS will also make me bolder about exploring places I have not been to  without fear of not making it home if I haven't mapped the location beforehand.  Well, the GPS comes in the mail on Tuesday so those adventures are yet to come.  But I decided to venture out for my first solitary hike today at Huckleberry Botanical Preserve.  All by myself!  I worried a bit about needing to tell people where I was in case I slipped off a cliff or something, but I needn't have stressed out so much.

The preserve is a quick drive away and very close to the urban bits of Oakland.  The nice thing about the Bay Area is that everything is so concentrated, meaning nature is right next to the big city.  (Or I guess in the case of Oakland, the mid-sized city.)  I picked a short and easy loop that took only an hour in total, but how refreshing it was to be walking on dirt.  Every time I go hiking now I always think about foster kids and wonder if they've ever walked in the woods, every walked on pure forest dirt rather than concrete.  I always start to wonder if maybe my body knows that I'm someplace different and if it responds differently to the unevenness of the ground and the moistness of the air.

The paths were green and shady--my favorite kind.  Today was a rare sunny day in what has been a series of rainy days, so along with a little mud there were colorful mushrooms along the paths.  Reds and yellows.  And I couldn't help feeling like maybe the fungus on my neck felt some kind of affinity with the cute fungus all around us.  My neck.  Moist woods.  We are all of us ecosystems!

I also spotted two huge hawk-like birds in the sky circling higher and higher and kind of swooping near each other, which reminded me of Avatar pterodactyls.  That's funky that for me nature is imitating art.  Hm...

So yes, I feel like I am reclaiming my independence, or rather exercising it.  I'm also taking some free writing classes through the Oakland Library.  If I write anything worthwhile, I'll be sure to post it.  And did I mention, my ringworm is clearing up?  What a splendid Sunday.  I think I'll go take a nap.

2 comments:

cyathula said...

so i finally figure out what happened to you! i was wondering where my friend was... suits me right for not checking your blog more! i hope everything is going better. we'll be moving this coming sunday back to the states! ahhhhhhhh

daojiang said...

hey yeah, did you get my new email address? i was like, where are you and how are you doing and did you move yet?!!