Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MSWho?

I just had dinner with some old social work grad classmates and I could not help but feel left behind.  Every one at the table was working on an advance degree or beyond and all the social workers had moved on from their humble MSWs.  The listed included:
- PhD. candidate in Mechanical Engineering;
- Postdoc in Chemistry;
- MSW to Law;
- MSW to PsyD;
- MSW to PhD. in Education;
- and me.
And they interestingly most were second generation Mexican Americans who were the first generation in their families to attend college.  I suddenly felt a stagnation in myself for sticking with my practical degree in a very practical, government job.  I am not doing anything to advance knowledge or my field and my job does not inherently demand that I learn something new everyday.  Economically, I can see that what I do also stagnates as a working-class of the white-collar jobs too, with little advancement beyond my small agency as a line-worker.  I don't anticipate that I would be happier in academia, and actually know that I could not be happy there.  But to see people my age who still are in dynamic stages in their lives makes me envious and makes me wonder what life I am not pursuing where I can be changing and growing everyday.  What is missing for me?  And, no, that is not more school.  But there is something practical and challenging that I am starving for.

No comments: