Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pipe Dreams

I've continued exploring the out-of-shape creative bits of my gray matter.  I'm taking a poetry class now through Oakland Word in a desire to try writing poetry, something I haven't really concentrated on since the fifth grade.  It's still intimidating and sooo hard, but it's been a joy too.  I'll post some poems once I workshop them in my writing group.  Ah!  Another creative exercise I'm thrilled to be part of is a writing group that meets every other week.  A kick in the butt to practice what I've wanted to try, writing more regularly.  Though, my challenge to myself to write everyday slacks in proportion to my feelings and energy level, which is erratic at best.  Fantastic.

Another new creative endeavor has been the creation of pipe cleaner sculptures.  I began making these in my LCSW group supervision, as the supervisor brought then in as fidget toys to occupy our hands.  It has turned into time of excitement for me less for hearing about tragic family situations than for a change to make cute things.  I'm playing with the idea of trying to make things to sell on etsy.com, though I wonder if there is a market for cartoony pipe cleaner sculptures.  They have brought me great joy to make, nevertheless, and my coworkers have started making requests for them.  Ah fuzzies!  Now is only store sold yard-long pipe cleaners rather than just the footlongs, I could really get busy...

The first one.  Must have intestines!


Here I suddenly had access to a variety of different kinds of pipe cleaner.  Oh the possibilities!



This one has a circulatory system and a heart.

I was very excited to try to make a bird.  What kind of bird this is, I don't know...


I was listening to a particularly sad case when I made this one.  Externalized frustration?


It was difficult getting the balance right, but the bananas are soooo cute.


No comments: