Monday, October 24, 2005

Wei Xian! Buo Li! (Danger! Glass!)

My posts have been so few and far between. I've been so drained by school--sapped physically and emotionally--that I've often given up trying to muster some gem of insight or misadventure for my poor benighted blog. My discontent with what I feel I am not learning. My only partial understanding of what social work is. My own inability to figure out how I got into this school. Etc.

I'm in the throws of writing a paper about selective mutism, a condition found among school-age children whereby they refuse to speak in some settings, though will in others. It's a interesting topic, yes. But having worked all night to produce only a single page, which added to the page I already have only amounts to a whopping total of two, I just want this paper to be over with. Well, I attribute the halting work to the fact that I'm still trying to figure out how to write a social work paper. Do I need to quote a study every two sentences? I think so. Speak, paper, speak.
------------
I do have positive news to report. My thumb is healed! A week ago I was taking a stroll, a Saturday constitutional, when I felt something stick to the bottom of my slipper. Ah, a pretty piece of safety glass--a blue cube of (supposedly) harmless wonder. I pried it out with my fingers and continued on my way, ignoring the slight sting in my thumb. Later, reaching for a drink from my water bottle, what should I spy but blood all over my fingertips! I can safely report that after a week of washing communal dishes and cooking shrimp, I have still managed to survive without infection. I love my immune system.

2 comments:

Tinky/Caddy said...

You've managed to make a bloody thumb sound as cute as a button. I wonder what you sound like when writing in "social worker" mode. Godspeed with the paper processing.

jennifer said...

thanks thanks