Monday, May 22, 2006

Summer Daze

Kickin' it in Palo Alto with an Austin bud. Feels funny to be out of Berkeley, a place that has so occupied my mind and soul the past few months. Packed up my apartment in a day and zipped all my belongings to my sister's place in Sacramento. The separation from the b-town get-a-long still yet to hit. And the languor of summer creeps up apace as the sun shines over the South Bay.

In preparation of the Latin Amer. Adventure, decided to read books by writers from the countries to be visited. So far this includes

1) Peru - Mario Vargas Llosa, The Real Life of Alejandro Mayta
2) Mexico - Octavio Paz, The Labyrinth of Solitude: Life and Thought in Mexico
3) Guatemala - Rigoberta Menchu - The Girl from Chimel
4) Belize - ?

If you have any suggestions for further necessary reading before entering these countries - for emotional and intellectual understanding and connection - please let me know. I think I may end up doing a lot of reading on the beaches after the sun has sizzled away my epidermis.

2 comments:

Tinky/Caddy said...

j-e-a-l-o-u-s et je t'aime!

jennifer said...

heeee!