Monday, May 15, 2006

ummm

I noticed that I hadn't really posted anything in the last few days, though I still get visits. So let's see...what is something interesting and worth reading...

I went to the graduation for all the second-year MSW students. For some reason it was downright thrilling to see all the graduating students get hooded and march across stage and smile and know that they're schooling is over. I'm terrified that I will be one of those people in a year, but I'm absolutley looking forward to the ceremony and regalia and everything, which is strange for me because I usually despise all the gown and marching crap.

As a volunteer I was stationed to work with the caterer lady and help set everything up for the reception. Donning an apron, two classmates and I found ourselves being the slave monkeys of this woman as she snapped at us for laying out the wrong napkins, chewed us out for bringing the wrong spoons, and generally mistreated us. Very interesting. There was also a protest scheduled that day to occur outside the hall where the ceremonies were taking place. UC employees are paid significantly less than workers in community colleges. So we were all a bit troubled about crossing a pickett line to help at a graduation--it turned out that our scheduled speaker cancelled in respect of the workers and so the protest/strike didn't even happen. But anyway, the caterer was complaining about workers violating contracts and not doing good work and then whining about it and causing trouble with unions and everything. I was like, "Does she know that she's catering for social workers?" Anyway, it was a very interesting evening overall.

--------------------

And now I am continuing my library hopping as I endeavor to complete my last assignment, due Tuesday. Let's see what libraries I have been to already:

- Doe Library (Main)
- Mofffit Undergrad Library
- Music Library
- Educational Psychology Library
- Environmental Design Library
- Public Health Library
- Optometry Library
- East Asian Library (a particularly beautiful one)
- Law Library
- and right now in Ethnic Studies Library.

Oh the wonders of La Biblioteca!

No comments: